The history of the Newicki Castle dates back to the 12th century. Its construction was related to the active pro-Russian policy of Hungarian kings, the growing role of the passes and roads leading north and east through the Carpathians to Galicia. At that time, the castle was a small earth mound, the fortifications of which consisted of ditches and moats.
In March 1241, the Mongol Tatars invaded Hungary and completely destroyed the Neva fortification. In the second half of the 13th century, the castle was rebuilt, and in 1279, the Hungarian king Laszlo IV (1274–1290) handed over all the estates of the Ung county and its administration to the Transylvanian voivode Finti of the Obo clan. At the turn of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, a new four-sided dungeon was built on the site of the round tower, and a 4.5 meter deep well was built next to it to collect rainwater. A new era in the history of the castle begins in 1328, when Charles Robert handed it over to the Drugetti family. The act of donation was confirmed in 1343 by the new Hungarian king Louis I the Great. From that time, until the fall of the fortress in the mid-17th century, Drugetti owned the castle. Until the mid-15th century, Nevicki Castle was only nominally considered the center of the Drugetti rule in this area. In fact, it was managed by a castellan on behalf of the family. The situation changed when the Hungarian Civil War broke out in 1440, and Drugetti again became prominent figures in the country’s political life. Constant armed skirmishes forced the owners to significantly strengthen and expand the fortress. Prof. Eduard Balaguri, a scientist from the Carpathian Institute of Uzhhorod National University, wrote about the castle that archaeological and architectural studies indicate that at the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries, the castle acquired a modern appearance. The research showed that there was a third line of defense on the eastern side, which consisted of shafts and wood and clay structures. The ramparts surrounded a trapezoidal space with two semicircular bastions. The remains of these shafts are clearly visible even now. Between the second and third defensive lines there was a small settlement where the craftsmen lived and worked. In the event of an attack on the castle, the population hid behind the mighty castle walls. In 1879, a Wagner Garden was built next to the castle (in honor of the Hungarian scientist Karl Wagner) and a fountain with natural water pressure was built. On the night of March 11, 2019, the roof of the three-story keep of the keep collapsed due to the storm. In the years 2018-2020, conservation work was carried out urgently in the castle.