THE LUBLIN REGION

Castle in Kazimierz Dolny

According to the legends of Jan Długosz, the Castle in Kazimierz Dolny was erected in the 40s of the 14th century with the inception of the king of Kaźmierz Big. It was built on a hill next to a self-contained tower, which was probably still built under the rule of the state owned by Łokietka. Both buildings were to serve primarily as a defense against the invasions of the Tatars’ hordes, but they also functioned as a customs chamber, and there is also a check point for the movement of stocks on the Vistula River. In the fifteenth century, the castle was expanded, and at the beginning of the sixteenth century, King Aleksander Ja-giel-Lończyk established A harmless society, which was then leased to wealthy families and families of the Republic of Poland. In the years 1509-1644, the Kazimierz presence was caused by the Firley family. He was a representative of this family, the Grand Hetman, and then Mako’la Firiel in during the third decade of the 16th century, he initiated the transformation of the castle - in line with the contemporary fashion - in the style of Italian Renaissance, supervision over by spreading his work to the then most important archives operating in Poland: Pio Maya, Lyckiel, and Santi Gucciemu.

In 1655, during the Swedish Deluge, the castle was occupied and burnt down, and in 1657 the Transylvanian troops suffered considerable damage by the troops of prince Jerzy Rakoczy. During the reconstruction, the buildings on the west side were completed and the external stairs were exposed to the corner of the courtyard. During the reign of August II the Strong, it was planned to rebuild the castle in the palace style, but they were not implemented due to the civil war with Stanisław Leszczyński. As a result, the castle falls into disrepair and is completely abandoned by the end of the century. In 1806, the Austrian authorities, for safety reasons, blew up part of the walls with the attic, which was in danger of collapsing. At the turn of the 1950s and 1960s, archaeological research was carried out in the Castle area, and then the ruins were made available to visitors.
During the reign of August II the Strong, it was planned to rebuild the castle in the palace style, but they were not implemented due to the civil war with Stanisław Leszczyński. As a result, the castle falls into disrepair and is completely abandoned by the end of the century. In 1806, the Austrian authorities, for safety reasons, blew up part of the walls with the attic, which was in danger of collapsing. At the turn of the 1950s and 1960s, archaeological research was carried out in the Castle area, and then the ruins were made available to visitors.

... they passed the parish church and went up to the tower, to the ruins of the castle. (…) They stood on the top of the hill. The jagged lock glowed as if it were all decay. The town turned black below. „

Maria Kuncewiczowa
en_GBEN